Sunday, June 04, 2006

Boids


Although I live only about an hour from Manhattan, our neighborhood borders a National Wildlife Preserve that stretches for miles. So, right down the road is this wonderful research center devoted to the study of birds of prey and they allow visitors every day of the year.

My wife and 2 boys walked around there today and I brought my sketchbook with me.

Considering that I have a 3 year old - I didn't have more than a minute or two with which to sketch out some of the birds, but I had a good time doing it and I figured it looked decent enough so I'd post it.

The main image is the profile of this gigantic Bald Eagle. In the upper left is a drawing of this tiny little owl called a Northern Saw-Whet Owl, that looked really cute perched at the top of an evergreen like the angel on a Christmas tree. The Owl right below that was called something like a long-eared Owl but it reminded me of the blue Owl puppet that Mr. Rogers had living in a tree. The Eagle at the bottom left was, I think, a Golden Eagle and the bird at the bottom right was my Son's favorite - A Snowy Owl. It was quite beautiful, about 2 or 3 feet tall - almost pure white and made a noise more like a dog barking than something you'd expect to come out of a bird. The other ones... I think they were falcons of some type. Maybe a Harrier. I don't recall. We had to keep moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home